Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

From Rebels to Revolutionaries

I've embarked on reading "The War For America", by Piers Mackesy as my bed time reading. It was published in 1962 and tells the American Revolution from the British point of view. With out the bickering, opinions or rhetoric of the two sides. At least it's supposed to. I've not read enough of it to say.

But, in the Introduction, "The Servants of Kronos", a point was made. In explaining to us sensitive and proud Americans...The recalcitrant Scotch-Irish...The use of the term Rebels, as differed from a use for American Combatants in our history books, Patriots, it was said that "Rebels" are only "Revolutionaries" if they are successful. The Confederacy Of America is an example of that. Here in the South, where traditions run deep though often not completely understood, the term Rebel was a badge of honor. It's turned into a pop culture term.

England tried containing the Rebels animosities. The increasingly independent Patriots wanted no part of England. Though neither of them were in a position to fight. It's an amazing story, and I think it's under rated.

Recalcitrantly Yours
The Appalachianist

6 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Recalcitrant. Fifty cent word if I ever heard one.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Fifty two cents with the VAT.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Yeah, be careful with those words with more than 3 syllables. Just a few weeks back I got a rare chance to slip "dichotomy" into a conversation and was quite proud of myself for it.

Then the guy at the other end of the conversation rained all over my parade with, "Actually, I was thinking it more an oxymoron."

I'm still moping around after that ego-deflating episode.

Rebels, minutemen, patriots... I'm just glad they won. Not sure I'd like being a royal subject. Speaking of it... the spouse qualifies for DAR but darned if I can find any direct ancestor that carried arms as a rebel/patriot. Kind of frustrating, that is. Hope they wasn't loyalists, but if so there sure's not much I can do to change it.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Oh, meant to add, "Good to see you blogging again." And good to se R'Ed stays in touch. Hope he stays safe over there in T-land with all the revolting going on.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I'm barely in, Gunner. Indeed Ed ought to be careful. he sure picked a good time. and, it's good to see you.

One of the families I descend from, the Owens, were in quite a few of the fights of the Southern Campaign. Strong indications that they were in the Burke County Militia at Cowpens. Therefore, a strong possibility of Kings Mountain. One was apparently attached to the Continentals at Copwens where he was killed. It was noted thaat he served under Howard, and some Burke County men were recorded as being attached to the Continental Line. His brothers survived though, one later being killed at Eutaw Springs. Eventually a few made it into this area on grants for service during the war, as did allot of the other families. While serving in the Militia they may have also had times as Continentals.

7:07 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

There's a number of Owens in the DAR data. They don't have every Revolutionaly vet but they do have quite a few in their database at DAR Data Search.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home