Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sewing Worth

He who wishes to exert a useful influence must be careful to insult nothing. Let him not be troubled by what seems absurd, but concentrate his energies to the creation of what is good. He must not demolish, but build. He must raise temples where mankind may come and partake of the purest pleasure.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I saw on ABC News this evening a Preacher out in Missouri had his congregation wear bracelets, and each time they complained they had to switch it to the other hand. He wanted them to stop complaining. Apparently it's working.

I'm a believer in not complaining. Not to be confused with saying it like it is.

In the words of Vic Chestnut, "Live by the scam, die by the scam".

It's spring...And a beautiful one at that.

The Appalachianist

11 Comments:

Blogger 1776 said...

Yeah, I tell it like it is. It's called reality.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

I figure if God didn't want us to complain, he wouldn't have given us the whiney voice. :-)

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goethe quote. Cool.

The only one I ever remembered of his was "Whatever you dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."

Or sumtin' like that.

Another one that stuck with me through the years was from Henry Ford, "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right."

4:30 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Maybe it's a Missouri thing because I wear a bracelet and I still complain. A lot, probably.

Most of my favorite quotes come off of t-shirts and network sitcoms. yes, it's true... I am that lowest common denominator you always hear about.

Glad to hear it's a beautiful spring. We more or less go from winter (such as it is) straight into summer. Only good thing about summers down here is it drives all the snowbirds back home for a while, which is good because it frees up parking for me at the flea markets. And don't scoff, I already admitted to being a commoner.

Welcome back from your blogging gulag. I didn't read all the comments from last post due to my short attention span, but did anybody happen to mention the get-up made you look a little pudgy? If not, forget I said anything.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Alexandria Knox said...

Hi there! Great site and thanks for serving our country!

8:36 PM  
Blogger 1776 said...

R'ed I too, am a commoner. I get my quotes off my refrigerator. A few of my favorites...


"The more you complain the longer God lets you live."
(I will probably live to 100)

My favorite....
"A Woman's Rule of Thumb:
If it has tires or testicles...
You're gonna have problems with it."

"There is no Reality, only Perception".
(Of course my reality is far different from anyone's else's.)

The one that best describes me...
"WARNING!
You are looking at a High Performance Woman.
I can go from ZERO to BITCH in 2.1 seconds.
Handle withe "care". The BITCH Swtich sticks"

Better Bitchy than Blah is what I say...


And one more....
"The More People I Meet,
The More I Like My Dog."
Accurate at best.

Happy Saturday Ya'll!

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need to get me a dog as I ain't got one. I'll stich a saying to it . . . perhaps a sled dog . . . but I ain't got a sled . . . whoops, I think I might be complainin' . . . but yesterday was beautiful. I had hoped to get over to Brevard but my budget didn't allow it, so I just stayed at the wedding at Lake Lure and watched the clouds roll by. The young woman and financee who rent a small apartment from me got married right on the lake. It was a small but beautiful ceremony. She was so young, pretty, and happy . . . you know, the way members of the opposite sex make you feel and look when everything appears to be . . . er, workin' before you buy the dog and have kids . . . and er, lose your job . . . all that will come later, but yesterday, . . . yesterday the thick, white, fluffy clouds parted and the sun came down on Lake Lure and her wedding and nobody could complain about a thing in this world . . . not at Lake Lure, North Carolina. I was glad for her. Bill

8:43 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hello all of you comment heads. I really don't have a real...said real and really in the same sentence...response to everyone.

HOWEVER...Ed, my poor little feelings are hurt. No, but, I was bundled. And I did gain weight about that time to lose it two months later and well...No one noticed the lonely, needy mud clinging to me like an insecure paste of clay as it was. And, I was wearing eight more magazines on my vest, and the parka and the heavy poly pro's. Remember the ones that conveniently put the tag in the crack of the ass? Oh! Better stop complaining!

Come on, I figured someone would say something about Vic Chestnut.
You complainers.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That tag is put there to keep you awake . . . right! Take care. Bill (It is a great blog . . . everyone has such interesting points of view and are generally pretty polite and caring of one another.) The mountains were beautiful this weekend.

9:13 PM  
Blogger sage said...

after so many swaps from the left to the right wrist and back again, the bracelet should be placed on the neck to provide a more effective complaint control... but it seems I'm now complaining and I confess to have lately complained in my blog...

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could use a few bracelets for my office.

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home