Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, April 13, 2008

KJ4DET


That's me, Christmas Eve Night after being out looking for a cache of stolen weapons.
Sleep
Last week a friend called me and no sooner than I said Hello he chimed into me, “Do the Iraqis take a two hour lunch?” For a minute I flashed back in my mind of getting some Iraqi up out of bed in the middle of the day because answers needed action. “Some times three”, I answered. “How do they expect to get anything done? Are they lazy?” Before I could offer an antidote he answered his own question… “They’re lazy”. “By our standards, yes”, I replied. I had not spoke of these things…Things there became the way things were and I have just not completely discussed it with anyone. Only in bits and pieces… “Where did you learn this?”
“I heard it on the radio”.

As an Advisor I had to be impartial to a culture that I often had to work around. If I was to do what I had been sent there for I served to masters, the Iraqi People and the American People. Rubbing one Iraqi Officer the wrong way could set things back a year. I would sometimes think my homeland came from cultures clashing and my home town was stuck between beauty and dysfunction.

I went onto explain how in time the Iraqis were convinced to work through those times when something was pressing. But in the Iraqi view it was too hot and they needed rest. Then on the other hand they would sit up all hours of the night. When they wanted something they would find a means, and when they didn’t they would find a means for that too. Again in my mind I flashed back to one of my interpreters telling me a man needed fifteen hours of sleep on his day off.

I don’t live where I have to worry about my family may be blown to shreds while shopping for groceries. For the greater part Christians get along here. We don’t feel the desire to shoot each other and blow one anther up. I see the Iraqis as a dramatic people caught in a dysfunctional cycle. I seen them hurt themselves in allot of ways, but, I don’t feel I can judge them for it.

When it comes to Iraq there is so much I could discuss, and a neutral audience is rare.

I learned that someone I was on Taji with is back there. In an e-mail we talked about something, I threw my two cents in and was told it would be passed on to CMATT. That makes two that I was with that are back there now, one as a Soldier and one as a Contractor.

Also I learned of someone that was in 3rd Range BN at the same time as me being killed there in 05. Rest in Peace, Ranger Horrigan.

Also a shout out to Ranger Bruce Fisher A/3/75 late 80’s. Scott Oates is looking for you. I wouldn’t mind hearing from you myself.

KJ4DET

The other Saturday morning I got up and drove through the pouring rain to Blairsville Ga. where I took my Technician Class test for an Amateur Radio Operators license. As a Tech Class Operator I’m on the 2 Meter Band from 144-148 Mhz. This is what I intend to use for Hunting from now on. I’m a HAM.

I reckon I’m back to Blogging and clinging to Religion and Guns.
The Appalachianist

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, God bless you. I felt bad I didn't attend church this morning. I am reminded of Kipling by your post and the crazy Englishman who went out into the noonday sun. My family (grandfather) was in India for a great while and his daughter (my 84 year old aunt) talked to me about the cultural differences and the endless rounds of talk and tea. Sometimes you just have to accept and deal with the differences. Sometimes there is a valid reason for those differences, and sometimes it just is what it is. You are right not to judge. Anyway, that's what I think. You're an insightful soldier Appalachianist and a good one. Thanks. Bill

8:59 PM  
Blogger 1776 said...

http://www.armad.net/

My Hillbilly you are just full of surprises! I had no idea you are a HAM. Please, please contact my friend Emery at ARMAD. Tell him I sent you. He is one cool man and a true patriot. Always working it for our Troops. I know he would love to hear from you. Give him a holler on the radio.

I for one have a real hard time not judging the Iraqi's. It is frustrating, they could have a wonderful country if they could just get over their mindset of hatred. I pray for them everyday. Albeit after watching 60 minutes last night our country and our leaders are really no one to be setting examples. We are exactly the same as them. Sunni, Shite, Democrats, Republicans, corrupt power hungry politicians that don't really care about our country, only what they can get for themselves and stomping on the little people all the way to the office and the bank. The only difference is they have resorted to the violence, although the Code Pinks and peaceniks love violence to make their point.

So maybe we should adopt the Iraqi lifestyle and take 2 hour lunches? Personally I like long lunches especially when in good company.

Love and gratitude to Ranger Horrigan. God Bless him and his family.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, I'm not up on Kipling. I can't really relate. But, OK.

Many times you would sit talking circles around a subject to come around to it much later, and the more Chai the better. Sometimes I would go out and check on Guards that watched a satelite facility and they would build a fire and insist on boiling up some Chai.

I'm humbled, Bill.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Oh, missed you, Mew. I'll go check him out.

let me say, on some levels, I can judge. To say not would be untrue. I seen them be mean, deceitfull, and place class above rightfulness.
But, it's a long fall from a high horse.

Sometimes those that you speak of really do like violence, because, they need contraversy to cling to. In my veiw.
In reality, there is nothing like peace.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

I believe the French only work 30 hours a week and then there is Mexico and their siestas and Iraqis and their hard life that must be really draining. I think it's about priorities. We can't do that because we are too busy working to buy stuff like 55 inch TVs and other "necessities".

9:37 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Good to have you back bloggging--did you read the NYT Magazine article (it's linked in my post from Friday) about the unit in Afghanstan? Like this post, the article had an interesting take on the culture.

I caught your reference there to Obama!

A Ham, eh? I was a ham back in Junior High and once blogged about it, but don't remember when. I never messed around with VHF and repeaters, sticking mostly to the 40 and 80 meter bands.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Murf, that's a good point. But, most of them would like tohave a 55" TV.

A funny thing. I knew of a Terp for a Seurity Contractor that bought two refrigarators. He was surprized that we didn't have two at home. He said he needed it to store the food. The American pointed out that it was more cost than it was worth.

sage, I've not taken a chance to read it yet. I remember you talking about HAM. Something about "Young Girls Scream".

LOL, I had to put that refrence in there. It's funny.

11:23 AM  
Blogger sage said...

My call letters ended in YGY and it was "young girls yell." Remember, I was in 8th grade then!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

LOL, I knew it was something like that.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Goodness, Dan. What's that early 1980s GSA swivel chair doing there? Man, the Army sure does rough it. The Air Force sent those to salvage years ago.

:-)

9:10 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, that is the Iraqi Army's chair. Thy fund their facilities, and most everything of such nature is bought from local contractors. Through a purchasing agent. Which getting into a discussion of that is quite a conversation.

Time to shave...

5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home