Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, March 31, 2008

Talkin' Bout saturday Night

Saturday Night I was at the Drive By Truckers show in Asheville. The next time they come back to The Orange Peel they're going to have to bust out a wall. The place was packed. Any more now when you go to see a show at The Orange Peel you get a pat down. I always figured if I'm going somewhere where I need to get patted down I have no business being there. But that is becoming the great American mentality anymore.

The Whigs opened for DBT. They put on a great show. Though they are too rough to be as wide spread as REM or The B-52's*, The Whigs are the next nationalized band to come out of Athens.

Right Hand Over my Heart

The Truckers put on a great show as well, just shy of three hours. They did take a ten minute recess. They closed with Buttholeville.

The Righteous Path

Lyrics:

I got a brand new car that drinks a bunch of gas
I got a house in a neighborhood that's fading fast
I got a dog and a cat that don't fight too much
I got a few hundred channels to keep me in touch
I got a beautiful wife and three tow-headed kids
I got a couple of big secrets I'd kill to keep hid
I don't know God but I fear his wrath
I'm trying to keep focused on the righteous path

I got a couple of opinions that I hold dear
A whole lot of debt and a whole lot of fear
I got an itch that needs scratching but it feels alright
I got the need to blow it out on Saturday night
I got a grill in the backyard and a case of beers
I got a boat that ain't seen the water in years
More bills than money, I can do the math
I'm trying to keep focused on the righteous path

I'm trying to keep focused as I drive down the road
On the ditches and the curves and the heavy load
Ain't bitching bout things that aren't in my grasp
Just trying to hold steady on the righteous path

There's this friend of mine I've known all my life
Who can't get it right no matter how hard he tries
He's got kids he don't see and several ex-wives
And a list of bad decisions bout eight miles wide
Trouble with the law and the IRS
And where he'll get the money's anybody's guess
He's a long way off but if you was to ask
He'd say he's trying to stay focused on the righteous path

Trying to keep focused as we drive down the road
Like we did back in High School before the world turned cold
Now the brakes are thin and the curves are fast
We're trying to hold steady on the righteous path

We're hanging out and we're hanging on
We're trying the best we can to keep keeping on
We got messed up minds for these messed up times
And it's a thin thin line separating his from mine

Trying to hold steady on the righteous path
80 miles and hour with a worn out map
No time for self-pity or self-righteous crap
Trying to stay focused on the righteous path


That's it for now.
The Appalachianist

*The B-52's are back out with one, and the ladies are looking good too;)

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, except for the pat down you were right at home. I'm gettin' so old in my retirement I don't know how I would react to a pat down . . . sounds exciting . . . forgive me for being stupid . . . you are right . . . it is every club now . . . reminds me of some mill village clubs on Saturday night . . . Club 21 in Great Falls, SC (the original Buttholevile) . . . no one remembers the music, but a man grabbed another trying to stab him in the back and managed to stab himself in the hand . . .I'm having a flashback, sorry. The Orange Peel sounds fantastic by comparison . . . glad you had a good time or to quote Yogi Berra, "It must not have been a good place to go. There were too many people there." Bill

7:23 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, Club 21 sounds like a place to avoid. Yeah, it was crowded. I can handle a crowd for a bit, but, after a bit I feel adgitated. Not being anti social or anything. I didn't mind that woman reaching up behind me and rubbing my head, but the kid that jumped on my toes, I did.

7:10 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

You like the B-52 ladies?!? Since when did you get into beehives?

6:35 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Since them, Murf. I used to have a neighbor that had a bee hive, this is ten years ago...maybe a couple more. I have a cousin that lives on that street and the lady still has a bee hive. She was nice to me until a girl friend spent the night and she then gave me a disapproving stare.

But the girls in the B-52's are still something to behold.

8:36 AM  
Blogger 1776 said...

3 hour gig? I would say that is worth a pat down. I find the security checks I go through to be bogus.

AHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
Neighbors giving a stare for a sleep over. What a naughty boy you are! LMAO! Been there, done that. Gotta love the peeping neighbors.

Glad you went APP, I don't like packed crowds either, but at least you got to see your band and that is a good thing.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Murf said...

You sure the stare was for disapproval and not envy, Beehive Lover?

12:44 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Mew for the most part I find them bogus too. We're a society of scardey cats. I was told that they did it because of the crowd size. Although it would be a great opportunity for some form of attack, so is the rest of the town. The rest of the town is vulnerable...Actually more. I think they were afraid of tempers. That's the sad part.
As far as a girl friend staying over...That woman has inflicted allot of misery. She is a control freak. Her children are old enough to be my parents and she still controls their lives.

Murf, thanks. I needed the embarrassment.

This is like being out of blogging exile...Some vacation.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

You wrote: That woman has inflicted allot of misery. She is a control freak.

Reminds me of an old navy saying, paraphrased of course: What's the difference between sex you pay for and sex you get for free? Sex for free costs more.

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad that I was not drinking anything (water) when I read ramblin' ed's comment. I would have drowned. I hate to start laughin' at something that is "da truth!" Now, try to be nice to the neighbors . . . invite them to stay over . . . btw . . . the whole city of Columbia needs to be patted down on Saturday night . . . that includes USC's football and girls' basketball . . . especially the girl's basketball . . . and not that I'm paranoid . . . but let's find a song that is not so much about me . . . I got nervous reading the lyrics and then listening to the song . . . do these guys know me? Bill

9:12 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, that must have been a rambling thought.

Actually, it would intrigue you'll over some of the things I know of that. "That" being what she has done. Otherwise, she was always nice to me.And, I really don't feel like it's my place to talk about their business here. But when I reflect back to it it's what comes to my mind. Controlling people is wrong. It doesn't matter who it is.

And to clarify, the GF was not controlling.

Bill, I believe some of that song is about everyone that reads this blog. Myself included.

Well, we've gone from Rock Show to possessive, controlling people.

Four Seventeen!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Well, we've gone from Rock Show to possessive, controlling people... and yet, I am the one who is known to ramble.

I am not sure I understand "Four Seventeen". I know about the teeny bopper magazine called Seventeen (well, I know of it), but then that would be for Seventeen, not four.

My only other explaination, and granted, I have not given this a lot of skull sweat, is that it is some sort of clandestine rallying cry for third world revoloution, although precious few of the really good Latin American coups and peasant uprisings were directed from Western N.C.

Other than that, I'm stumped.

By the way, no DBT in our future down here, but Shooter Jennings is coming and we're going. (Yes, I do know whether we're coming or going.)

5:42 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

"Because I have done it before and I can do it some more...Get your head outta the sand 'cause it's too late!"

Oh...singing with The Hives...tick tick tick.

Ed, I figured you'd comment on The Whigs. They're playing Saskwatch Fest out in Wa. How cool is that? Saskwatch!

You are so right. It rambles. Yet, your comment added great value to the conversation. My mother disapproves of my current bachelorhood, but, people marry for the wrong reasons, and I'm not going to do that.

Four Seventeen...close. Four, the month of April Seventeen, the date. 4/17/17177 for a start. it is a rallying cry for Liberty.

I've not been one for Shooter Jennings.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Being patted down reminded me of a joke.

These two guys are getting ready to go into a sleazy looking bar when one guys turns to the other and says, "I've been in here before and this is one rough, mean bar. They frisk you before you go in."

His friend shrugs it off and says, "Hah! I've been frisked before when entering some pretty rough drinking establishments. Just how rough is this place?"

The first guy replies, "Well, if they don't find a weapon on you at the door, they loan you one."

Bada Bing!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Gunner, I guess as they say an armed society is a poltie society.

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find myself checing the postings regularly. I check the number of posting to see if I need to comment or straighten-out the world of, dare I say it, Buttholevile, which I might add never seems to need too much straightening, which is ironic for a town you can't get to unless you ride the curved mountain roads of The Righteous Pass . . . er, Path, just having a little fun with the postings I always enjoy. It seems all is not lost as somewhere a group of postal workers were attacked by a flock of wild turkeys. They know when hunting season is over. Take care. Talked to Ray Presnell and his wife Sunday. They called. It was a grand surprise. Bill

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home