Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

An Intellectual Pursuit

I spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Ft. Jackson. I ran into several people that I was in Iraq with, including a girl from the unit we relieved. She worked the J4 in Baghdad and after a few minutes of conversation I remembered her. I was in that office for a couple of hours.

Running into several of the old hands I learned that someone I thought was back as a contractor had had a change of plans. He is still in Rogersville Alabama. Yet, one girl from Atlanta is now in Baghdad.

I’ve got one friend that got completely out and is now talking almost like thinking of going back.
Thinking of it, now that someone I know is back at TND I can get a more honest assessment on how my old Habibi’s are doing. Shlonek? Shaku Maku?

I got a haircut in Columbia Friday morning. Two of the lady barbers were talking. An acquaintance was having some fidelity problems with her husband. At first it was just chatter to me, but, something caught my attention in the conversation. One lady responded to a comment, “you mean she got back bone?!” The other lady replied, “No, she just got a temper”. So I went through a brief intellectual pursuit…

73’s The Appalachianist

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's like my saying I'm brave, but only when I'm angry. The Reserves were at times a very small world of traveled people coming in an out of one anothers lives from different places and walks of life. I met all kinds of folk. It was like the Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. If you sat there a while with your coffee and benet anyone would or could walk in the door . . . kinda like Rick's Cafe in Cassablanca or the Huddle House at Brevard (just kidding but true). For my part, the Reserves was a great experience. God bless you on your adventures. I wish I could have done more. Take care. Bill

4:05 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Bill, the lady was right. There is a differance. That's something I feel I've always known deep inside, yet, it's not come to clear thought.
Does someone have to be mad to stand up for someone, something or their selves? Is it better to take a stand before getting mad? Being mad doesn't mean that someone will quit walking all over you.

Yeah, the military is about more diverese than any other part of society or oraganization. BTW I spoke to RA this week. The Jolly Red Head Giant a couple of weeks ago.

5:39 AM  
Blogger sage said...

73 to you too... I thought for a moment I should set Murf up to give you an 88, but then thought better of it as she'd probably go for a 69. They were all good years.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks Sage for the 73. Now about the 88 that sounds like QRM but, I recon that depends on the QSO.

10:09 AM  
Blogger sage said...

to use internet shorthand, LOL!

6:23 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, it helped to have the ARRL 411 sitting next to me. I was thinking , "Man, how canI HAM speak that back?"

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home