Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, September 13, 2010

"Scarred But Smarter"

We've got more acorns and hickory nuts than Mother Nature knows what to do with this year. They are big and fat, healthy nuts. It might be one of the heaviest mast crops I've ever seen. Including that time deer Hunting in South Alabama. As a result, game doesn't need to travel too much. Out training dogs the last few weekends, it's been hard to find a track. Any track, not just a cold track. This year, we're going to earn our Bear. There is not the Deer around that there was 20 years back. They will move with the rut, but we miss the rut with our season here most of the time. Bear just sit down and eat. Hogs won't move as much, and they are nomadic. But, then, game may breed more.

To give you an idea. The other night, me and two others were listening to some other Hunters Dogs off in the distance. One boy had his night light on, shining on the ground. Where three men stood and talked, there may have been maybe 15 acorns within our reach.

James Reid has joined the Army...

I heard on the news that Drivin' And Cryin' got all of the equipment ripped off in Macon Ga. $50,000 worth.

I met a Hindu Monk and he was showing me books that he was giving for donations, in one was a picture of Karma, with an ax over his head..."Karma, justice, whatever you call it...There's always a chance to get restarted to a new world, new life, scarred, but smarter..."
The Appalachianist.

2 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

trees have a cycle, providing more seeds every few years so that they will produce more than animals can eat so that a few will fall upon the good dirt and grow! Still, enjoy the hunt, if you get a bear, you'll earn it and it'll taste better! Check out my new post on the documentary Restrepo.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Sage, I was talking to a boy over in Franklin, and he commented on how the chestnut oaks were as big as hen eggs.
We will earn what we get.

FOLKS! Good review, go read Sage's post

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home