Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, July 04, 2010

1775

I'm sitting here trying to get a bid on E-Bay, Ssshhh...Otherwise, I'd be out messing with something another. But, today is the 4th of July, fireworks, hot dogs, pretty girls in shorts...But, not subjects of some crown. Though, we have become subservient in a complicated tangle of confusion, disorientation, bewildered by a maze of self serving corruption. Let's not get into that, lets not let that mess of folks ruin OUR Day.

So, in the summer of 1776, some smart men sat down and wrote out a truly magnificent statement, The Declaration of Independence. But, let's not focus on what it said, but what had been going on. We call this "our nations birthday", but Lexington and Concord had been fought over a year before. The Guns of Ticonderoga were captured in May 1775. Bunker Hill or Breed's Hill, was fought on 17 June 1775, the Army had officially been created three days prior, 14 June 1775, with the Navy following on 13 October and the Marines on the 10th of November. Creating, manning and supplying Armed Forces is something that Nations do. And, while many issues were being hammered out, not in essence, but, in spirit, in reality the 13 Rebel Colonies were, The United States. The Deceleration of Independence only validated an idea, that had become a reality.

Let me further emphasize, When the likes of Cornwallis, Ferguson, Tarleton, and some lesser known figures went south, captured Charleston what Historians explain that they were doing was trying to reestablish South Carolina as a British Colony...In hopes that Tories would rise up and the rest of the Southern Colonies would fall in line. They did create a foothold, but it ultimately failed. Southern Rebels were far more passionate than Southern Tories.

So did my attempt on E-Bay...Hit the button too late. 2 seconds....Oh well, I've lost the girl, lost my pride, lost my mind and thought I'd lost my way, but found that I was right where I needed to be...Then I figured out it's true, "you'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it".

One Cooley song deserves another...


The whole point, I'm making is, it didn't take a piece of paper to make us free...It took an Idea, one that was radical...Farmers and Frontiersman turned the world up side down...
The Appalachinist

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

Nice post... Have a happy 4th--of course, I had to work today :)

8:09 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks, sage, I hope you had a good 4th, despite having to work.

6:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pa said, "If you light a firecracker, you better get rid of it." I understand what Pa said. Firecrackers is one thing, women is another, and I ain't never bid on E-Bay for nothin' I know of 'cause I ain't good with computers, but I bought a half pint of gin once after hours at a fifty cent premium.

Belated Fourth of July greetings. I hope it all worked or works out for you. I hope as much for the country. I visited Ticonderoga. It was such a small fort to have played such a big part in American history. The guns of Ticonderoga dragged to Boston meant the British had to leave the city. Take care. Bill

2:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home