Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Catching Up Part 2

Here is the continuation of my journal notes from my trip to Ft. Lewis Wa. I'll write weather permitting. The last few day's have been stormy. Lightening came in on my Mother's phone line and played havoc with everything. A co workers pump on her well was knoced out, as were many others. Last night I could hardly dial up.

That Thing is Huge 16 June
Yesterday, the 15th was the first day that we were able to see Mt Raineir in it's entirity. It's a large Mountain indeed. The biggest that this Hill Billy has ever saw. I don't know how anyone could look at such a thing and not think there is a God. Though it's a Volcano, unlike my peacful Mountains at home.

The day before yesterday I flipped through Army Times. It showed the Air Forces new uniform, a real faded tiger stripe. The article called them "copy cats". I wonder what the Marine Corps calls us? This uniform thing is ridiculous. It all started with the Marines wanting a Digital Camo(wich the Soviets had). They asked the Army to work with them on it. The Army, being the slow unresponsive beast that it is didn't want anything to do with it. The only response they know anymore is a knee jerk. The Marines moved ahead and did a good job. The Marines have a propaganda machine that makes the other branches shiver in their boots. So, big knee jerk. I do think our camo would work once it got good and dirty. But, otherwise it's too light. And, the Marine's seems much better. But, it's not about not being seen, it's all fashion statment.

I also saw in A.T. this weeks "Toll". Every issue lists members of each branch killed over there. One wa a 19 year old girl. Why? Why was she over there? Don't give me this Women's Lib Shit! It's her job to give forth life, not take it. Though she may have been part of a Support Element it's a Combat Zone. Are we over there trying to get these people to "respect" women the way we do? Are women such an intergrated part of our Force under Politics and need that we place them there? That little girl volunteered for a job not many young men are willing to do. We're a sick society for sending our Daughters into battle.

Present Notes
Yesterday(27 June) I saw a snippet of a recorded portion of PBS's "Front Line". It showcased Private Security Contractors in Iraq. I recognised a "Black Water Man" that had been killed in Fulluja. He had been a Senior NCO in my Battalion(3/75 Rangers) during my early day's there. May he, and the other men killed with him that day Rest In Peace.

A local Reserve unit, 391st Engineer Bn is now deployed to Afghanistan. They were hit with an IED. No one was hurt. They spotted the "Trigger Man" and chased him down and killed him. This information I received from someone who was infromed via E-mail. Good Job 391st!

I now listen to the commentary on President Bush's speech. Yep, he's right, it's somewhat a show down. Our "leaders" tell you that the Armed Forces are deployed fighting for "Our Freedom", in the meantime the Supreme Court say's that a Government can take Private Property and hand it over to someone else.

Appalachian Intellectual

2 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

AI,
I agree with you. Why was a teenage girl in a combat zone, anyway? I too think it is so some female congresswoman or DACOWITS wench can use her as a statistic in whatever "cause" they push next. It is indeed folly and ignorance.

I had written more, but it got really long, so I've cut it from here and put it in my blog as today's post.

Travelin' Ed

4:08 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Hmmm...Most Female Soldiers that I know are not all Gung Ho(the real meaning is "work together") about women in Combat. Except for one once and she was niave(and I was niave about her).

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home