Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, June 06, 2005

The Post Before The Storm

Today was a real June day, hot and hazy. It started out foggy down along the river and it quickly burned off so you could watch the thunderheads build against the higher mountains. The haze made mountians not too far away look as if they were further off. You were unable to make out the color of the tree's, only a pale gray with a hint of blue.. The haze is natural and it traps in the valley's when there are no surface winds to move it. Some of it is air pollution too, but, much of it is moisture. What looked to be a stale day was broken by the thunderheads. By mid afternoon the sky's were dark and thunder could be heard all around. Then it cooled off.

My dog, is terrified of thunder and lightening. She handled it well today being the storms were the other side of the mountain from us. She would look to me and give me the "this is not nice" look. But, my piticular location dodged the bullet. I can hear thunder back beyond the Balsam's still. And, it sure has cooled off.

Drill,
This weekend turned out to be a typical drill. Nothing realy exciting. Just a hot and humid weekend right smack dab in the middle of South Carolina. There wa alot of cutting up and teasing. Soldiers tease relentlessly. Other wise it was mundane activities. My Company Commander left and we have yet to see his replacment, and I am being handed a "Squad". It's not a real Squad as one would think. Being more so an Instructor Commitee we are broken down into teams and then into two Sqauds. My Squad members will be E-7's, E-6's and E-5's. It's currently being shuffled, so I don't know who and all will be in it. Actually it's something just now being implemented and the designation will probably swich. That would be far more accurate.

I saw my Division Commanding General wearing the new uniform as well as his whole staff. It's their job to sport it and get the troops to except it. Again, I think the camoflouge will be decent, but, the Velcro? Word is it's very comfortable.

We watched "Sling Blade" on TV Saturday Night. Dwight Yoakam play's such a good Jerk. Billy Bob Thorton play's a great Simpleton. Carl was a true Cultural Icon.

The big highlight of the weekend was on the return trip back home me and my buddy passed a car with two girls and a guy in it. Both attractive girls. I glanced over at them and politley nodded. The girl driving gave me a polite smile. A few minutes later they passed us and one of them was looking back at us. Well, they slowed down to let us pass again and both of the girls turned towards us and flashing their breast at us. Now talk about supporting the troops. Those girls didn't have to do that, but, it was very thoughful of them.

I only worked half a day today. Last night I didn't get in until almost 2100(9:00PM) and my stepson stopped by.(I was glad to see him, I don't get to much. I didn't tell him about tose girls on the interstate) So, with much to do the day before I fly out to Washington State, I took half a day. I did come across a 4 foot Black Snake in the yard, that's a work highlight, but, he ran, didn't flash me.

I Wake up at 0300 and head out. I stop and pick up a buddy(The same one that was flashed along with me) and head off to the airport. I'm glad to be all packed up, I just hope they don't loose my luggage. Honestly, as much as Uncle Sam bails out the Airlines, they should fly us free if not at a reduced rate. After all it is official Buisness.

It's thundering closer and closer. I should finish this quick. When I will be able to post again, I don't know. It depends on my access to computers and the time and circumstances. Big Thunder...Time to go...
Appalachian Intellectual

Recover post worked...the stormknocked me offline..

6 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Well, A.I., you have safe trip and enjoy yourself out there in the Northwest. Be sure to get plenty of Vitamin R while out there.*

Dwight Yoakum - born down the road just a bit in Floyd Co., KY. Swingblade was the first time I ever saw him without a cowboy hat.


Vitamin R - Rainier beer, the local brew (or at least it was when I scootered thru there in '85 or so)

10:01 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

You're so lucky. Nobody ever flashes their breasts at me. I find that sad. And, while I don't know this for a fact, wouldn't you suppose snake tits would be rather small? And, while I'm on the subject of snake tits, wouldn't they more or less have to be on mama snake's back, given her mode of locomotion and all?

I liked sling blade, too. And Gunner, without his hat, Dwight has a receding hairline that makes him look completely nondescript. He might as well be the guy who fills the vending machine.

Take care and do good on your drill. Let us know when you're back.

Travelin' Ed

7:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you've been gone forever. It's time to come back now. I miss your posts.

-Lazy Pete

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. Come back.

8:41 AM  
Blogger janie said...

Must be having to much fun in the Emerald City! Heehee!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

No. folks, just a long AT.

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home