Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, June 03, 2005

AGT Tagged me

Appalachian Gun Trash tagged me, and Travlin' Ed too, for a Musical Meme. Of course I wondered what my Task Condition's and Standards were. As he told Ed, just follow the template on his blog. So here goes.

Starting with my last purchase. Social Distortion's last CD(the first in many years) "Sex, Love, and Rock'n Roll". It's a short one, just around a 1/2 hour. But, it is a very good CD none the less. What's Social Distortion? Take Johny Cash and cross him with the Sex Pistols. I'm a big fan of the those two as well. "I'm a Caddilac Tramp at the end of his rode/a swammy quak sitting on gold/yeah baby". I bought it just before the first of the year. Has it been that long? I could stand to pick up something new.

The Drive By Truckers "Dirty South" ..."We aint ever gonna change, we aint doing nothing wrong, we ain't ever going to change, so shut your mouth and play along". I love all of the Truckers CD's...I almost said Album's...I about wore out "Decoration Day". If your into a rougher sounding southern rock, you'll like these boy's(and girl). They put on one of the best live show's you can see, often a three(YES 3!) hour show. I missed them last week as I mentioned before, but, Good News! They are playing Bele Chere in Asheville NC, the Southeast's largest street party other than Mardi Gras. I'll try to see John Hiatt for you Ed.

Next is a simple repurchase. The Refreshments "Fizzy, Fuzzy, Big and Buzzy" wich the CD cover was graced by one of the sweetest Nose Art girls you will ever lay your eyes on. She actualy reminds me of a young girl I know and perhaps that is the reason I adore her so much, she has that smile that instantly wins anyone over. But, on to the music. This is not a real hard rock album...see, I said it. It has it's moments though. I once told Jello Boy it was the ultimate single guy CD, wich, I've spent most of my life a single guy. Though I never got into a bar fight for insulting someones Girl Freind or went fishing in Mexico. The music was great, and the lyrics very creative. Unfortunatly, their not a band anymore..."Mosh Safely".

Cracker. What can I say? Everyone loves Cracker, they just don't know it. They play stuff you can Mosh to and stuff you can stomp your foot to like you hear at the local Community Centers on a Friday Night. "Garage d'Or" is probably the ultimate collection, except I find it dissapointing it doesn't have "Can I Take My Gun Up To Heaven?" on it. I can't say enough about Cracker, so, I'll stop here.

As I was leaving work this morning me and a co worker were talking about The Cult. Their last one, "Beyond Good and Evil" was a true Cult album. Each one had it's own distinct sound. The "Goat Head" album was a bit of a disapointment. I did like "Star" though. They have been billed as the best "Blues Rock Band" to come out of England since Led Zepplin and are often refered to as "Goth Rock". The Cult is Billy's amazing guitar work and Ian's creative Goth lyrics."Lovers and Fighters, Adrenaline". It's legendary that the two barely get along, yet, they have such an energy together. They split for a long time and came back because they felt like Rock Music was eroding. Rock and Roll Patriots. "She Sales Sanctuary" is the kind of song that gives you confidence in everything around you. It's latley been featured on a popular car comercial. Ian is going to front The Doors? The Doors are going to do something? Sounds good.

One song I enjoyed hearing on the radio latley was Bottman, Turner and Overdrives "Hey You" ..."na na na na, hey you hey you". I showed up late at a Van Halen Concert once and missed them as the opening act(Your fualt big brother!) Oh well, we had a good time.

A purchase that some of my readers will find interesting is Iced Earth's "The Glorious Burden". They are an 80's metal style band that does theme albums. The one mentioned is a Military History Album. I enjoy their Star Spangled Banner. It mostly does the "Civil War"* in an epic style sound. From their web site they have a Gettysburg DVD coming..hmm interesting.

I have so many in my taste to mention., but, this is a snap shot of it. I kind of like this "Meme" thing. You can do it on books or what not...Fire Arms!...the endless possibitlies...even fantasy women. Just kidding. I'm off to drill.

Don't be a zero...be a hero...a sex pistol
Appalachian Intellectual

9 Comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Wow, that's a pretty wide range of stuff. I guess everybody likes a lot of different stuff.

Now, when we was in our teens, me and my friends were all heavy metal rockers. Had the t-shirts. Had the lingo. Knew all the lyrics. And hated anything that wasn't hard rock.

We finally had to give up the posturing when we realized that Waylon and Willie made us tap our feet, the blues did make a whole lot of confusing stuff seem clearer, and no matter how hard you tried publicly to deny it, you still liked Little Willie by The Sweet. (It was still OK to not like show tunes, though).

Great blog. I couldn't live up to my tagging. Now I am so ashamed.

Travelin' Ed

12:41 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

That is a pretty wide range. Also, looking at your's AI & also at Moe's music meme I see that there's a knowledge gap there with me. I have to go to ITunes to hear some of these bands, which are good, but which before y'all mentioned 'em, I didn't have a clue.

And it's difficult keeping yourself to listing only 5 "mean a lot" songs.

No, Ed, real shame is strutting around for years calling the song "Danny Boy" and then finally being told that it's real title is "Londonderry Air". I hope Grandpaw Kelley has overlooked that, as I meant well. :-)

6:23 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I was the same way Ed. except I didn't have long hair or anything. It's so nice to be deversified. I know what you mean AGT. It's kind of a set back to yourself when you realise you were wrong long after the song lost it's popularity. Think of all the people who sing "There's a bathroom on the right". When it's "a bad moon on the rise". What impresses me is the new found popularity of Blue Grass.

9:11 AM  
Blogger janie said...

Speaking of music..."The birthday kind" ....and based on your profile...

I want to wish YOU a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thank You Janie. That is very sweet of you. I actauly return from out your way the day before my Birthday.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Jinxy said...

That's scary how close our musical tastes are.

DBT - No need to repeat what's been said before about the Best Band In The Universe.

Cracker - seen 'em a dozen times, from Richmond, natch.

The Cult - Saw them open for Metallica and headline with Bonham. When I was a freshman in college, I had The Cult 'Electric' poster up. My new roomate's girlfriend was very religious. She saw the poster and said: "Is he a devil worshiper or something?"

9:06 PM  
Blogger Jinxy said...

Oh, and can't forget the Refreshments. Best album cover of all time. Too bad their second CD was terrible.

Didn't know they had a second CD, didja?

9:08 PM  
Blogger --Boldly Foolish said...

Ok, so I know I'm going to look like a total neophyte by asking this, but I've been Googling around, and I can't find the answer: How exactly do you "tag" someone officially? By email? By saying so on your blog and hoping they read it? By commenting on THEIR blog? If you feel compassionate, please email me an answer. Thanks!

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AI,
So did you go?? "Bele Chere"?

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home