Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Speaking Of Easter

First and for most, Happy Easter. The spring's first full moon came finally. I managed to see it in Seattle, that doesn't always happen. So, once it's here, it's Easter. Easter is a funny sounding word, but it's a sweet word. It can mean allot of things for allot of people. But we all know it's about Jesus and not rabbits. I wonder how rabbits slid into the picture? Oh, well, that's no concern. They're cute and taste good, we'll leave it at that.

A short while ago, on recommendation of my roommate here, I saw the movie Conspirator. Interesting drama. Speaking of Drama, foolishness has given that word a bad name. It made for some good viewing, however. It had a moral, though I can't attest to it's accuracy, that Mary Surratt, owner of the boarding house where the conspiracy to assassinate Abraham Lincoln was to have been plotted was railroaded by a Military Tribunal. It made me want to learn more.

Speaking of learning, I've been learning more about Daniel Boone. Daniel Boone was a man, he was a big man, but, his debts were bigger than he liked for them to be. As well, there are more fables of Daniel Boone out there than there is truth. He never claimed to have killed more than four Indians in his life and took no pleasure in it. He did travel far, he was born in Pennsylvania, moved to the Yadkin River country of NC, trapsed the Blue Ridge, got lost in Florida, stomped what is now South West Virginia, West Virginia and the eastern half of Kentucky,as a prisoner of the Shawnee's was taken to Detroit. There he feigned loyalty to the Crown in an effort to save his skin and the skin of his kin. I'm yet to finish the book, he's just making it to Missouri, but, I am enjoying the read. I can say this, he was a man, a real man and he lived a rough life and made the best out of it as he could. As a quote from T.E Lawrence I read in Boilerplate over at the Barnes and Noble (killing time so I wouldn't drop a phone call on the folks back home in Easter Dinner) that no one ever writes the truest form of History. That's true. Daniel Boone was an exploited character apparently. And, by the way, I'm reading the biography "Daniel Boone", by John Mack Faragher. An Author with local ties, Robert Morgan, (The Morgan's are the only Welsh family in Transylvania County) wrote one on him too, and I intend to read it as well. Check several source.


Today is cloudy and it drizzled this morning. The last two days were beautiful here in Seattle though. Not a cloud in the sky. I'm listening to Drive By Trucker's "Southern Rock Opera, Act I"

Know the Lord is coming, the South will rise again
The Appalachinist

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger JLTan said...

Easter is traditionally the celebration of spring from the pagan era. It became contextualised into the Christian calendar to be the celebration of Jesus' resurrection.

My family tends to celebrate the latter more than the former.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Susie Rosso Wolf said...

Thank you for your service to our country. That's first. Second is, I love your writing style. It's so refreshing and reminiscent of, well, Hemingway, actually. No I'm not calling you Hemingway, I'm simply saying that your beat, your vibe, reminds me of his. I find your work to be some of the best I've stumbled upon on the blogs.

Please drop by my place to read a little of my New Prairie Woman novel, comment, and follow if you have time.

Happy trails to you. Be safe, and well.

Susie
newprairiewoman.blogspot.com

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home