Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Friday, May 13, 2005

Local Writers

I could write about a dozen things. But, for you great followers of Blue Ridge Meglomania I have said that I would talk about some local writers. So, I'm going to do it.

Wima Dykeman

I have read most of her book "The French Broad River" and I'm currently reading one of her novels, "The Tall Woman"(I have to finish it to start "Not A Good Day To Die"). The latter is my Ex Girl Freind's book, I had given it to her for Christmas and she said it was about the best book she ever read. I have to say I am enjoying the story. She uses language in there that I haven't heard in years. The characters seem so real, true independent mountian people. It's set in the Post "Civil War" time period and gives a glance at how hard things were in that time. "The Tall Woman" is in it's 40th printing, I beleive. Most of her books are early 1960's from what I gather. Mrs. Dykeman is native to Asheville N.C.

I argue one thing with her. In "The French Broad River" she said that "woods burning" was a problem resulting in the killing of humus. I would correct that to over burning. Very few places are burned here any more(not enough in my opinion).

Robert Morgan

Morgan is from much closer to home. From what I read the poor fellar lives up north now. It's no wonder he writes so much of these mountains, he's homesick. I admitt I've only read bits and peices of his work. They are all very good though. I've given a couple to my Grand Mother as gifts and she loves them. He uses actual local places. In one of his books a mans pig is taken from him in a certain place. He is using it to mark out a road. I made the joke to her the people who took it were my Grand Fathers people. We laughed. Though my Grand Father made Corn Liquor before the war, he was known as a good man and his word was his bond.(If you can count back 4 generations in these hills, someone in the family tree made Corn Liquor)

His books are about tough people. From Strong Liqour to Strong Releigion. And, like Mrs. Dykeman, he uses mountian speak.
Some include, "The Mountains Won't Remember Us"(they won't) and "This Rock". The Fellar at the book store in town say's his Revelutionary War novel is excellant.

I know it seems funny that I recomend books from folks that I havn't completley read. For obvious reasons the last year and a half I have concentrated on War books. Before that I dealt furhter into my Cherokee Heritage.

Here is one that I would reccomend. "The Appalachian Forest" by Chris Bogliano. It will tell you just how troubled the whole place is. Great old pictures in it. Some local. They are down at the Court House.

Also James Mooney's "Myths of The Cherokee". Powerful stuff.

So, there you go. If you want these mountains and their people, those are good rescources. If your looking for entertainment...their even better.

Enough of that. Good Night
Appalachian Intellectual

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home