Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Iraq Insurgency Sniper Training

This is a Power Point Presentation I found on Defense and National Interest(conviently linked to your lower left). You will need Power Point to veiw it. Much of it is in the "Muj's" own words. Gotta know your enemy!
Mujjhadeen are our enemy, Monkey's are our freinds...
Appalachian Intellectual

2 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Interesting. Appears they use the Soviet SVD rifle. That one's been around since early 70s, maybe even the 60s, can't remember. But, while not of US M-24 Rifle quality or even Remington 700, it still can be a pretty accurate rifle, especially for a semi-auto.

The key is if they use match quality 7.62 x 54R ammo and not mil-spec ball ammo. Of course, at a reasonable range you don't have to be all that accurate with that much bullet, it can definitely hurt you. Let's hope they're piss-poor shots.

And, of course, it's real easy for me sitting here pontificating on Hadji sniper rifles when there's our folks out there on the receiving end. Again, let's hope Hadji is one piss poor shot and receives more rounds than he expends.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Yeah, the SVD is over there in a plenty. The Iraqi National Guard and Army use them as well, probably since there were so many of them. I once saw them advertised in Shot Gun News as "The Worlds Most Accurate Rifle". But, from people who have shot them they would not trade them for an M1A (M-14 to some or M-21 being souped up)
The whole thing spoke volumes. They openly admitt that the Marine Snipers played havoc on them in Falluja. That means they have a information chain more complex than some imagine. They talk. They recognise the Snipers worse enemy is another Sniper...it goes hand in hand with Heinz Guderian's statement that a Tanks worse enemy is a Tank.
They also place value on who they shoot and when, being careful of by standers. Something they don't seem to do with car bombs.
Note how they mention targeting Juornalist? A Service member get's a brief mention in the news. A journalist gets a story. That also indicates they do not see News Reporters as being on their side. That Paralells something I read in this months Soldier Of Fortune from a French War Corospondant.
I'm going to go a bit further and possibly upset some folks, it say's that a 168 Grain Boat Tail Hollow Point is more effective than a 500lb Bomb. Yeah, let's hope that they can't shoot...

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home