Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Monday, May 16, 2005

Dresden 1945

Sometimes we mess up. Saturday I messed up, so did Postini, my spam/virus filter. I accidently opened an E-mail that I should have deleted. It was in German wich other than a few Military words is jibberish to me. I promptly deleted it. Too late. The next day I received over 60 return e-mails. Last night at about 2300(11:0PM) I reveived 168 returned e-mails. I just now received 22 returned e-mails. One title that "I" sent was Dresden 1945. Mostly to what looks like European adresses. Norton said I was clean....but, I don't know. Do I just delete Outlook or do I clean off the whole machine? That is the question.

This is my first Virus. I don't open weird if I can help it, Postini usualy does well and I try not to make myself a target. But, no matter how low you lay you can still get hit.

Sometimes I have to do a little shift work. I pulled one of the worst shifts you can pull. A 12 hour Grave Yard Shift. 12-12. I managed about 1 1/2 hours of sleep. I never do this in the winter time when it's easier to get to sleep. The room is darker and it's not hot. I can't complain about the tempature. But, like most folks who live where I do I don't have Air Conditioning. You get a few hot day's, but, a fan at night leaves things comfortable.

When I was a Drill Seargent I remember getting 1 1/2 hours of sleep after being the Charge of Quaters and heading back out to help with Training. You get pumped through the day and your going to sleep like a rock at night. Or running an operation for that matter. It's a little different down at the "Powdered Toast Factory". Getting up in the middle of the night to go to work can be a little hard. Your body is like "Whoa! What are you doing?"

Of course the only reason this is relevant it's slowing me down on fixing my Virus problem. I pull a regular 8 hour Grave Yard Shift(3rd) tonight so, in the morning I will come home and start catching up on sleep. I usualy get off of work and sleep a little, get up for a while and thenm go back to bed for the evening.

I do have another machine(computer) to use if I do strip this thing down. That's an up side.

If you have any advice on my Virus situation, I would much appreciate it.

Going to Bed.
Appalachian Intellectual

9 Comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Bummer, A.I. I use McCafee myself and it seems to catch everything. Of course, if you do an "aw-sh*t" and open an email you shouldn't, even the best anti-virus can be compromised.

You mentioned Norton, but I didn't catch whether you have it installed or not. If not, you might try a free virus scan at Trend Micro and see if they offer any advice on getting the crap off your machine.

Usually if you can identify the virus, you can google on it and find info on the internet on how to recover.

Good luck, A.I. I've had one virus before I had McCafee and it was a bear to get rid of.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I second the gunner's suggestion about google. Usually running the name of the virus, or recurring words, or an alert through google will bring up enough discussion groups and help lines that you can get the info you need to remove it.

But for me, when that does fail, and since I P2P a lot, I tend to get the occasional really nasty one, I just wipe the drive and start over. It's not pleasant and it's not quick, but it IS effective and it's not that hard. Few viruses survive FORMAT DISK? Y ARE YOU SURE? Y

Travelin' Ed

9:07 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks You'l. I didn't think of doing a search on it. I do have Norton installed, yet it is expired. The second hit on a google search described it(Symnatec). A fire bombed city was third. What does that tell you. I have a Trojan Horse and removing it may not be painful. Of course that's yet to be determened. I think I will try the Trend Micro when I get home.

My brother used McCafee and had nothing but trouble so I have shied from it.

Thanks boy's.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thank you much Angel. I'l give it a look see.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

AI, I didn't want to get too pushy so I didn't say anything before, but Angel has a point. I have been much happier with AVG in the 2 years since I ditched Norton. Norton was good, but AVG is better, simpler, updates faster and is FREE!

I use it and Zone Alarm firewall (also free) and feel I have some pretty darn good security for zero $ down and zero $ a month.

You can go to the Gibson Research website and do a security check on your computer. It's pretty comprehensive and will let you know if you're computing safely or not.
Ed

4:23 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well folks, AVG said I was clean...So many people concerned for my health, you'l flatter me...Wich leads me to think maybe it expired, but, I don't want to take any chances on it. I'll research the little bugger more.

Yeah Ed, got leave it to the woman to be pushy!LOL

11:18 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Good suggestion. In fact, one of the sisters uses AVG and seems very pleased with it. I forgot about it.

But, do you still have the Dresden virus on your PC? From what I've read its the Sober.q virus or variant and it looks like any good virus s/w will remove it.

Did you try Trend Micro, with no results?

7:38 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I looked Trend Micro over and going through I needed a plug in. I opted for sleep at that moment. I'll give it a shot today and see what it say's. Maybe it will tell me.
Thanks AGT.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Thanks Angel your a sweet heart.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home