Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, October 02, 2011

Swedish Rockers

As I was packing up for this deployment I packed a case full of CD's. I've always been a lover of music, and I had every intention of hearing what I wanted. The trouble with CD's is, they are bulky. I was slow to catch onto CD's. I held onto to vynal and cassettes as long as I could. I still don't like to just down load music, I like album art and notes. I also appreciate lyrics. Well, all of the cases are back at Appalachia central. And, all of my CD's are on the ocean somewhere. Why are they on the ocean? That's why I was rambeling, listen, or in your caase read, the ramble and know why. Because, CDs are bulky, I can only pack so much on a plane and personal items were put in tough boxes that went into overseas containers and onto a ship...As I sit and think about it, they have gone quite a trip. They flew from Asheville NC, to Atlanta, to Seattle and were then put into a tough box that went into a container that went to Texas that eventually went to Charleston SC. It was almost like a loop around the nation just to end up in this...I'll put it nicely...Barren land.

At the time I live in a big open bay room with over a dozen other Senior NCOs. We all like different kinds of music, or we talk with folks back home (mostly over Skype) and work different hours. As a result, all hours are quiet hours. So, if we listen to music, it's on headphones. I had enough music to survive short terms of boredom. And, with wireless internet working in the "not too shabby" zone, I can listen to allot of stuff off of Youtube. I was explaining all of this to a girl the other night that suggested I watch Kiss sing the Beatles. Kiss, after all, are boomers, and were not all about Metal.

Now, I've lost allot of readers. That's cool. But most everyone that has hung around since the days I went to Iraq know, I get into the Swedish Garage Rock band, The Hives....Tick Tick BOOM! Yeah...

I love their stuff. It's my prerogative so I don't need to explain why. You like it or you don't. But if you were to ask me, I'd tell you why. Because I'm that kind of guy. Ok...I'll tell you why, because they ROCK. It's simple, then complex, hard hitting and, they're real. They are also nuts in a Euro-cocky kind of way.

So, have a dose of The Hives on a bootleg video!


That's not enough...


You danced didn't you? How do you dance to that? Well, you just kinda shimmy and shake.

I am/was also a fan of the mid 90's band The Refreshments, they were a good time light hearted all around good band. They're stuff was funny.

So, the other night I was doing something and picking tunes off of Youtube...I did some Replacements, so I got to thinking Refreshments and I came across two different Refreshments. Turns out one is Swedish. And these guys play the stuff your Grand Daddy rocked too. Just like this. Rolling across the hot and humid South to three chords!

Not enough...They've got friends, check them out with Albert Lee, they guy with the crazy hair.

Variety is the spice of life, is it not? Well, one of the spices, only one spice and there would be no variety. So, does it beat the coperate stuff you get pushed on you in the US market?

Just saying...
The Appalachianist

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

How long does it take to get your stuff? You need to get an ipod. Even I have one! Glad you got good internet. Checking in today from my "other blog."

3:23 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Jeff, it all depends. I's quite a process. Containers have to loaded, blocked and braced, paper work done and if everyone is cooperating and then when they get to port. And, then, it goes on a ship that sails across the ocean. It can be a month, it can be six weeks. I know our stuff left later than it was supposed to.

Mail is different. I ordered over Amazon the first season of Rome, the BBC/HBO series, on the 21st and got it yesterday.

Today is 3rd October, Bahkrahn market day.

11:30 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Refreshments - Promised Land because it has always been a favorite song. Been a while since I listened to the Elvis version, but I think he cut a verse or two out of the original. Or these guys added a couple of their own (doubtful).

Then Let It Rock -- mostly because it did. And it's a happy song.

Hives was good fun, but both songs sounded similar. Also, and I don't know if anyone out there will get the reference or not, it sounds like the San Diego alt rock station 91X, circa 1982 or so. Back in the days that IRS was a big name indie label. Timbuk 3, Beat Farmers, etc.

Still, I gave you 13 minutes or so of my full attention. Now I gotta go back to facebook and post something for the messes. Errr, masses.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, that was 13 minutes of absolute entertainment. I think it was word for word on Elvis. But, yeah, those two Hives tunes do sound about the same. Same CD, Tyronoussorus Hives, and yeah, that's real real bad spelling. But, they can do some different sounds.
Now, thank you for your attention and you can go back to what you were doing...Masses, Ha!

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home