Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Summer Nights

12th August
Well, that was yesterday. Do you need a laugh? A car passed me on my way to Sick Call and splashed water all over me. Just like in the movies, and my back, well, the Doc said I was taking good care of it and gave me a prescription. Now, it’s old news to me and I don’t want to talk about it.
Believe it or not, the Army Reserves has allot of bright people in it, people that are just full of ideas. Unfortunately, allot of those ideas stay ideas, lost in mediocrity. Some ideas seem like schemes, some are harebrained and some are simple solutions. A problem that the Army Reserves has, and is becoming more common, is all of the Active Duty wannabes. Often these people have served on Active Duty, and spend years in the Army reserves trying to pull more time. I’m not knocking it, it’s usually a monetarily motivated quest. Not all, but most of the wannabes are not the flexible, imaginative Reservist. They are usually unimaginative, inflexible and dogmatic thinkers. They think the Army is the ultimate society. It’s not. There is no ultimate society.
Let me tell you something…I’ve got a friend, he served in the Israeli Army during the 1981 invasion of Lebanon. One day we were talking and he hit the nail on the head. Back back to the Cold War. We’ll break it down into East and West. The West won the Cold War, not because we were so good, but, the other side was so bad. They defeated themselves. (And, this is my part, Ronald Reagen just helped them convince themselves that they were) We’ve …
16th August
I lost that thought. Well, I knew what I was thinking. I started with one of the many Army Reserve personalities. Oh, yes, there are different types. And yes, sometimes you’ve got to give your own enemy credit for their failures before you pat yourself on the back. No one is perfect.
Speaking of perfect. Let me pause…It’s weird how people pop in your head. Let me unpause. Today, my whole part of this unit was in a room, kinda like a cubicle farm without the cubicles. It was chaos, noisy, everyone trying to come together in their little piece of the puzzle to make it all fit. It annoyed me, but, then, it was something to behold. If it wasn’t so chaotic, then, well, nothing would be happening. Everyone was making an effort. Everyone wanted success. People want to perform. Not for some personal recognition, but some sense of success. There is only one person in this unit that I’ve met before, that was back on Taji, and I don’t remember him much. It was when I was leaving and he was coming in. But, we are slowly getting a bond, putting into the pack. We want to put into the groups success.
Now, all aside, I think of home. Katydids screaming…My house is dark, it’s Training Season, if the weather is not too hot Friday night a man can run his Dogs while the katydids make their sweet racket. They are yelling that fall is coming. I’ll not see fall this year, well, I doubt it. It’s just good to know all of this is happening. And, that my house is dark. The darkness of a summer night is solemn.

The Appalachianist

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

Good to see you rambling on, Appalachia! I'm mostly posting here and not at Sage this summer.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I reserve the right to ramble. LOL

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home