Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Thursday, September 01, 2011

Dr. Bernice's Delta Eighty Eight.

H30th August
I’ve been around. That is to say I’ve traveled, and mind you, not always by choice. I’m more interested in the wonders of my own back yard (Southern Appalachia) than I am anywhere else. Yet, thanks to Uncle Sam and I admit, other endeavors, I have been to a few places. However, unless I was there long enough to get the dirt under my nails, I don’t consider myself as to having been there. I’ve passed through Ireland, Spain, Germany, Newfoundland and Hungary. I can attest to their beauty, but, I only saw it from a bird’s eye view. I was in those places no time at all. The same can be said for a few states.

This is my first time to Ft. Bliss, and believe it or not, my first time to the Southwest. I’ve gotten the dirt under my nails here. From a distance I can see parts of El Paso and Juarez across the river, but the river is not in view. I’ve been off post once, and that was in transit. El Paso appears to be a growing city. And, the mountains in the distance here are pretty. Yesterday I was on a range and I could look and see a big ridge to the east and across a gentle, sweeping valley was another low ridge of hills. The hills were sparse little knobs and the ridge just rose and bent over into a broad, flat valley. Of course there were the bushes and yuccas growing in the waterless valley. But, a man could see for a ways. It was like the set of a western. I could see Outlaws riding their horses in hopes of making it to Mexico and Hombres greeting them at camp fires while wondering what trouble they’re in. I tried humming a verse of Marty Robin’s song about El Paso and a certain Mexican Girl.

I think of the history here, little that I know. Longstreet was Commander here before he went and served in the Army of Virginia. US Officers watched Poncho Villa’s battle at Juarez from across the Rio Grande. Anglo culture of the United States met the culture of the Mexican populace in what came to be The Republic of Texas and then another State of the Union before a Confederate State and back to the Union. And, amongst it all outlaws rode through Hondo Pass in a desperate rush for Mexico. Now, Mexicans cross the Rio Grande in a desperate push for The United States. It’s ironic. I wonder what the Apache think?

1 September
I know that somewhere across the river in Juarez is where Dr. Bernice got the fake leather seats for her Delta 88 she spray painted black and on a hot desert night with the windows down wide the stars will spell out your name...

Sand in my eyes,
The Appalachianist

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home