Appalachian Patria

Appalachian Intellectual. To me that means plain thinking. I am A Non Commissioned Officer in the Army Reserves. Let me say...My views expressed here are mine and not those of The U.S. Army, Army Reserve or my fellow brethren in The National Guard. This is entirely Sua Sponte. This is My Thinking. I'm single and in my mid 30's. Politicaly, I'm a Libertarian. (Again, Sua Sponte.I do not represent the Libertarian Party.)I love my native Appalachia, Rock n Roll and...I love God.

Name:
Location: Brevard, North Caroilina

I started blogging for two reasons. I was concerned about the changes to the area I live in, Southern Appalachia and I was about to go to the war. I was in Iraq in 06 and 07 and now Kuwait in 11 and 12. Blogging was a means of documenting my experiences and hoping it would help gain clarity. I don't feel that way about it any more. It's said people write blogs because they are frustrated, that's why people read them too. That makes us sound apocalyptic. Are we? Let it be said, what I say here is of my own thinking. This is entirely Sua Sponte and not an official representation of the U.S. Military or the U.S. Government as a whole.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

The 26th December 1776

My Commanding General brought up the Battle of Trenton the other day while speaking to us. Trenton was a significant victory for the Continental Army. One point the CG made was that the Continental Army was about to have allot of Enlistments expire. And the atack improved morale greatly.

When asked most people will say, "Yeah! Washington crossed the Deleware and attacked the British." but there is more to the story than that statement. Yes, Washington crossed the Delaware on Christmas Night and the wee hours of the 26th as a storm came in. With the poweder wet, or even damp, firing muskets was doubtful. Washington ordered to fight with bayonets. The assemblige after crossing the river was slow and maybe even clumbsy, but apparently they settled out the chaos quick enough. Anyone who has ever been on an Assault Force can relate.

One point that most people don't know or forget about, it was not the British per say that Washington's force attacked. It was Hessians, German mecenaries, brought in by the Crown. Hessians were professional troops and if they were not feared, they were definitley respected. The victory over such a force added to the Continentals weight.

Something else, it was one battle than two future Presidents were in. Two Americans were wounded, one Washingtons cousin, and the other a future President, that nearly died, James Monroe.
For a little more reading on the Battle of Trenton, go here.

And boys and girls, that is your quic history teaser for the day.
The Appalachianist

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

did not know that about Monroe being in the battle...

4:53 PM  
Blogger Murf said...

How timely. I just heard that someone repainted the infamous picture of Washington crossing the Delaware to make it more legit: http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/new-york-museum-to-unveil-more-accurate-picture-of-washington-crossing-the-delaware-in-1776/2011/12/24/gIQA6XbzFP_story.html

5:58 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Before I get started, I saw a picture in "picture of the day" on the Christian Science Monitor where they reinacted the crossing.

Marrianne, that was cool. I always like to see where history is put straight. I was hoping for a picture of the final product.

Sage, I knew it but reading up on it I remembered. I first learned it from a documentary on President Monroe. He was anxious to serve.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I saw the picture this morning, night back home, today.

4:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home